We had a great meeting last Saturday in New Bern, with lots of new faces and interest in the industry. Below are a few of the major topics discussed at the meeting:
- NCSGA will become a member of the East Coast Shellfish Grower’s Association which will strengthen our voice
- Roll-out of the new website, which is still a work-in-progress, but coming along nicely NCShellfish.org
- Presentations by DENR staff on acquiring leases, and an update on the Siting Tool
- An update on Senate Bill 34, “An Act to Provide for Shellfish Cultivation Leases in Areas Containing Submerged Aquatic Vegetation.”
- The NC Oyster Summit is Mar 10–11 in Raleigh – put on by the NC Coastal Federation…hope to see you there!!!
- Chuck Weirich was introduced as Marc Turano’s replacement (NC Sea Grant – Marine Aquaculture Specialist)